Friday, September 16, 2011

Recycling Plastic & Paper Pays and Saves You Big Money

Recycling plastic and paper may not be for everybody due to the fact that many don't have an easy way to get rid of their disposable plastic and/or paper. If you live in an area like I do, the local town provides recycling dropoff points for your plastic and paper which makes the decision to recycle easier. (You can also take your aluminum cans and other misc. metal there, but that you keep for yourself and cash in on it).

So who do you get paid for taking your plastic and paper there? You don't get paid directly. What you do is you eliminate your garbage bill. When we started recycling full on years ago, we found that we actually had very little garbage left over. So we got rid of garbage pickup. (I should note that I hate to promote an area which means less work for someone like the garbage man, but in a tough economy one may have to make that tough decision if it means saving every penny you can for yourself.)

In addition to recycling the plastic and paper, we have a compost pile for where the organic garbage goes. (side note...what I do with my compost pile is I used it in the garden. I mound up a nice pile (about a foot high off the ground) of pure compost in the garden and plant 3 pumpkin seeds in each mound. You won't believe how the pumpkins grown in the compost mounds. We never have to buy pumpkins come Halloween. In fact we usually have an overabundance of pumpkins, which I give away to people, simply because I like to watch them grow throughout the summer and early fall)

Back to the recycling though.....cutting out all the recyclable waste from the garbage usually leaves me with a small paper or plastic bag (the kind you would get when you're checking out at say a grocery store) of garbage every few days. I just take that and toss it in a garbage can when I'm getting gas or whatever. Gone is the garbage bill and we don't have to buy the garbage bags either.

That's a little tip for someone who might be trying to squeeze every penny out they can out of their budget.

Be sure to check out the following for more money making topics.....

The Dapper Scrapper Index to Making Money Online and Offline for Sustained Self Employment Income

No comments:

Post a Comment